The workshop focussed on raising awareness about the mutual interdependency of nature and the economy on Curaçao and how to initiate a socioeconomic valuation study as a tool to mainstream nature management within all social, environmental and economic sectors on Curaçao. During the workshop the research steps for a total economic valuation (TEV) study for Curaçao were developed based on various practical exercises. The workshop contained the following:
- Training on defining objectives, approaches and scope of economic valuation of ecosystem services based on The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB) methodology.
- Identify and discuss policy issues that should be addressed by an ecosystem services valuation study on Curaçao.
- Training on the available ecosystem valuation methods and techniques.
- Discuss experience on the impact of valuation of ecosystem goods and services studies: the actual influence on nature management and investments for conservation.
- Discuss recommendations to implement and communicate the outcome of the potential study to the relevant decision-makers and actors in the private sector.